Sunday, May 22, 2016

Cantemus Women's Choir

This past January I had the privilege to join a local women's chorus named Cantemus. I met Patty Denmark (the conductor) at the high school a few months ago and she had mentioned it but I wasn't feeling quite settled or ready after just having moved here. In January I decided I was was ready for something more involved and contacted her and told her I wanted to audition! I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I first joined. I soon learned how difficult the music is and how hard these women work! It was challenging at first but I got back into the swing of sight-singing and being with a choir again after a few rehearsals. I cannot even begin to say how much joy this choir has brought to my life! I absolutely LOVE the music and LOVE the women. They are all so wonderfully talented and so fun to get to know! I guess I hadn't realized how much I had missed this sort of music and being a part of something so wonderful these past few years but now I know how much it really affects my life! Hooray for choir! And amazing musicians! 
 Anyways, we had our spring concert on May 1st and it went SO well. Our concert had the theme of "world music" and was titled Untraveled Worlds. The music really was spectacular! We featured pieces from all over the world, including South America and Africa! There were solo performances (I just had a small solo at the end of a piece) and LOTS of musical instruments involved. African drums, string quartet, guitar, chello solo, organ.. It really was such a well rounded concert! I included one of the pieces that is posted on youtube. The soloist is a senior in high school! I just love this choir! These two next pictures are of me with my new friend Angela who sits right next to me in choir (she is the Middle School choir director in town), and my friend Sarah who came with Sam and Ivy to see my concert! The rest of the pictures are professional pictures taken by someone before and during our concert.

No comments: