Monday, February 29, 2016

Rio Secreto!

When Trish told me way back in December that she got us all tickets to do an excursion called the "Secret River," I had NO CLUE what we were getting into! She kept raving about it and although excited, because I knew anything in Mexico just had to be fun, I figured it was just a short little boat ride into a cave or something. I had NO idea we would actually be spelunking through underground caves with a fresh flowing river of crystal clear water! To say this was awesome would be an understatement. It was probably one of the coolest experiences of my life! The whole thing sounds a little sketchy, being in another country and all, but this really was a well funded (by National Geographic), well organized, and super safe adventure. The actual river was only discovered about 6 years ago and the excursion itself has only been up and running for a couple years, after everything was cleared as safe, of course. If you are ever in the Cancun area, I highly recommend it! 

After watching a short introduction video at the front of the location, we took a bus ride 7km inland on bumpy dirt roads to the entrance to the caves, where they made us shower, lock up all our belongings, and change into wetsuits and helmets and water-shoes. We hiked another half km or so through the jungles to where they performed a cultural ritual before entering the caves.. Then we climbed down about 25 feet or so to the first part of the caves! From there, it was just our group (a Canadian couple was with us), tour guide, and camera girl! They told about the stalactites and stalagmites, and how much calcium is in the water, how they have found evidence of ancient civilizations visiting the rivers and caves, etc.. We had to duck under and step over lots of rock formations, and then had to float/swim through certain parts that were pretty deep. The only lighting that was around us was our guide's flashlight and our headlamps. It was such a neat experience! I think my favorite part was being in a part of the caves that was big enough for us to float together in a circle (last few pics). After the tour was over, we did a traditional toast with a cultural drink made from a specific tree in the jungle, and then they had a cafeteria type hut where they served us lunch, then we took a van ride back to the front of the location, where our taxi van from the resort was waiting for us! It was an amazing morning! An experience I will never forget and I one that I hope to take Sam to some day!
 
Yes I am wearing a child size wet suit. One of these things is not like the other! lol:
COLD water:
Cheers! ;-)

No comments: