Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sam's weekend in DC

First, just wanted to post a few pictures of the house Sam lived in as a kid, when his dad was a mission president for 3 years in the DC area. The South mission I think. He often talks about how fun it was to live there and how different it is from Texas. How he would play in the woods right next to it and how beautiful all the trees were in the neighborhood and nearby. Lots of fun memories for him.. When we stopped there, we decided to knock on the door to see if it was still the mission home. Sure enough, the son of the current mission president answered the door and let us look around inside a little bit. It was fun to see what was the same and what had been renovated, considering it has been close to 20 years since he's lived there. Crazy! 
Woods in front of his house:
looking down the street:
Sam said they built this square fort in the backyard while they were there. Apparently another family added on the swing part... he also talked about how that round thing on the ground seemed so huge to him when he was little. Not so much now, haha:

Sam had always talked about wanting to show me the house some day. I'm so glad we had to chance to stop and see it. It was fun to hear some of his memories of the place.
Sam's elementary school just down the road... We were able to stop and see it on the way to Kristin's house:
The next morning after sending the kids off to school and after us sisters took off, Neal and Sam took Noah and Ivy to the new Flight Museum right near their house. I'm pretty sure it was more for the them instead of the little ones though, lol... It seemed super cool! I'm actually pretty jealous that Sam got to see the space shuttle that they have there right now. SO cool.




 
The next morning, while Neal took Kristin's kids to their swim lessons, etc. Sam headed back down to Fairfax to the high school that a few of his brothers and sisters went to. It just so happens that it's named Robinson High School. How fitting, hehe:


Later that day, Neal made some homemade wings and they were able to sit and watch the BYU game together. Fun stuff! Then they met us for dinner that night at Jackson's. Thanks again babe for taking such good care of Ivy for me!

3 comments:

Katie said...

I couldn't figure out why this post intrigued me, but then I remembered, my family lived in The Robinson's house in Friendswood while they were on that mission. Crazy! I bet that was fun to explore DC : )

Unknown said...

Very interesting part of Sam's life, Kathryn! I'm happy that you guys got to see that while in DC!
Ivy looks like she had fun with daddy while you were away :)
Love, Mom

Amy Fackrell said...

Loved this post. I am a little crazy and have recurring dreams about this house and the woods all around it. Like that I am outside and a bear is coming out of the woods to get me. I think I need to visit the dream doctor.com and see what it means.