So, Hole in the Rock is one of those events that everyone sort of dreads, but ends up doing because--Tradition. There was one year I sprained my ankle and couldn't do it and realized how much more fun it was NOT to actually climb this impossible crevice. This year was very different, as it was the first year I was far more athletic than in previous years. I had put in the time and training and now I felt like it was the true test! To NOT die on this blasted hike! We decided to take our kids up with us, because we've dragged them all over Appalachia, so why not the desert too?! Cousins Rick and Caleb were the only ones in our Lake Powell crowd to brave the trek this time around (Dad and Trish rode in the boat with us) and we ended up having SO much fun! And the weather couldn't have been more perfect! Super breezy and overcast! There were storms in the distance but they never touched us! Ivy was a big trooper, bouldering over rocks as if she were just in another one of her gymnastics classes! She needed a little help on the way down so we were both grateful Rick was with us, while Sam carried Marshall. All in all, it was a great experience. It was super validating for all the hard work we've put in this past year to be able to just scurry up the rocks, in comparison to years past when I've wanted to die! Very rewarding to be so much stronger this year! Take that, Hole in the Rock!
At the actual "hole" in the rocks, lol:
No comments:
Post a Comment