Saturday, October 5, 2013

White Coat weekend!

In the first year or two medical school, they have something called a "white coat ceremony" where you receive your first white coat; typically students receive a shorter one, then a long one when you actually become a doctor. Apparently it's a big deal in the medical world. It symbolizes that you are officially studying clinical health sciences (after a long road of even getting in to med school) and will be working with actual patients as early as your first year in school.. Anyways, Sam has looked forward to this day ever since he decided he wanted to go to medical school and we were very excited when the day finally came. Especially after being in town last year during his post bacc studies and watching all of the first years receive theirs. Dad R. and Trish were able to make a short trip out here for the occasion and it was so nice to have them here to share the excitement with us. (Sam's mom had planned to come back for the event but had to attend a family funeral in another state at the last minute and couldn't find a flight back in time.)

Evening view from our little pinnacle overlook, night before the ceremony (there was an awesome BBQ for the first year families earlier that afternoon but I forgot to snag some pics):

 
...and a train riding through Cumberland Gap! (right pic) We've seen tracks and a cool bridge in the town but have never spotted or even heard a train down there before:
 
White Coat Ceremony! 





Woohoo! Looks awesome on you, babe! 



It was a very rainy day, hence all the indoor pictures...
With some of his first year buddies, Rob, and Sterling:
 
After the ceremony, they let the students take their families on a tour of the two buildings that they spend their days in. We were able to see the school's brand new anatomy lab where they do their dissections on the cadavers (the bodies were locked up tight in these pod things, thank goodness, haha). And this room is the lab where they learn OMT (osteopathic manipulative treatments) which I think is a super cool part of becoming a D.O.:


I have to admit, if you would've asked me when we were teenagers what I though Sam was going to do when he got older, I don't think becoming a doctor was even on the radar! Not because I didn't think he could do it (because Sam really is capable of accomplishing anything he wants to), but more because I had no idea he was even interested in it.. Thanks to some very motivational people in Sam's life, willing to listen to him when he had significant doubts about his original routes for his future, he jumped in to the world of science and fell in love. I saw a big change in how much he loved school and how much happier he was in his premed classes but I still couldn't picture him as a doctor... I think seeing how much he's learned in his anatomy class last year and OMT class this year combined with the white coat finally sealed the deal for me of being able to see him as a doctor. It's really happening! We still have a long ways to go but so far it really has been really fun and to be honest, I don't see him as anything else anymore! He's doing amazing in school and I just know he's going to be a great doctor. I'm so grateful to have such a motivated, hard-working husband who has found something he is passionate about.


And just a couple cute iphone pics I had to include.. Here is Ivy playing checkers with grandpa while we wait for our table at Cracker Barrel, one of the only good restaurants in town, haha! On this super rainy cool day, however, it was just what we were all in the mood for..
Last but not least, my favorite pic with my favorite guy. Love you so much babe!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Glowing. I mean it.

Unknown said...

I agree with your comments about Sam! I think he will be an awesome Doctor! Great photos :)