Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sick Baby

(Sorry this is so long, feel free to skip. I just wanted to include it for record purposes) A few weeks ago Ivy came down with a little virus. Just a sore throat, so I thought.. no runny nose or anything, just a scratchy voice and a low-grade fever. We tried to take things easy for a couple days and by wednesday she seemed to be feeling better. However, Wednesday night her fever spiked to 102 degrees so I took her in just to be safe the next morning. Just as I thought, the dr said it was probably a virus of some sort and should go away within 48 hrs or so. But by Friday afternoon, her fever was up to 104 and she was not feeling well at all which made me pretty worried so I took her back in. She also had not been eating anything at all which was also worrisome. The dr was concerned as well and wanted to do some blood work to test for bacteria. Well the initial test came back positive so they wanted to run more tests to see where the infection might be. We ended up being there for 4 hours! And not to mention, Ivy was getting more and more dehydrated because she wouldn't eat very much or drink. She was pretty miserable. They finally gave her a shot of antibiotics and sent us home. The dr wanted us to come in the next morning to make sure her white count went down. Her white count was fine and the dr said that it actually might not be bacterial because occasionally stress can cause the test to look like bacteria... Or something. Haha. So long story short, Ivy got more antibiotics and by Monday morning was feeling much better. And the blood culture came back negative for bacterial infection. Soo strange. It just so happened that the virus cleared up the same time that they gave her an antibiotics. WHEW. That was all a little confusing. Sorry to write it all out but just wanted to document because we've never had to take her to the dr for anything that serious before or ever had tests done, etc. It was not fun. I'm just glad she is feeling better. And hope she doesn't get sick for a while bc it felt like forever! 8+ days is a long time to be sick for a baby... poor girl! 

Eating a sucker before getting her blood drawn.. Hoping to use it as a distraction while they had to poke her. Didn't really work, lol:
Poor girl was pooped. She fell asleep for like 40 mins while we waited for test results. She never sleeps on my lap. That's how lousy she was feeling:
What most of our days looked like:
It really is no fun being sick. She didn't want to do anything but sit and watch her movies with mama.. or her dollies, hehe.. Anyways, I'm just so glad she has been feeling better and that I have my happy girl back. :)

4 comments:

Allison said...

i love that she has dolly friends!

Katie said...

Aww, she looks so sweet despite not feeling good : ) When my boys are sick I feel like it is NEVER going to end... I'm glad she's feeling better for your sake too, lol.

HolliJo said...

oh I'm so sorry. Sick babies are the worst. So hard for both of you guys! It always breaks my heart when Taycie is sick! So glad she's feeling better and it wasn't anything serious!

Anonymous said...

Oh so sweet, even when she is sick, poor Ivy. Sure glad that is over, just in time for Mema to come! See you in a week!! Hugs