So this isn't as exciting as the news I just posted. In fact, it's rather sad but I just want to write about it because it has been bothering me. A few weeks ago we found out that our dachshund Max has a condition called Cardiomyopathy, basically, a rare and serious heart condition where his heart beats irregularly and is classified as congestive heart failure.
We noticed his abdomen swelling quite a bit back in December and I knew it wasn't just a normal weiner-dog-getting-chunky type of thing. He was still skinny everywhere else but around his tummy. His activity level had also been declining over the course of a couple months as well.. So Sam took him in right after we got back from Durango and that is when they discovered it. They told us it was a condition he was born with and that there was nothing we could've done to prevent it. Also, that he is not going to get better. They said he probably only has about 3-6 months to live if we are lucky (or a year if we could spend $$ paying for heart meds and diuretics for his abdomen/getting his tummy pumped if he needed it) but it would be a better idea to put him down before he gets too sick and things get too painful. They told us that was the kindest thing we could do for him.
What are the chances? I think it's crazy that out of thousands of dachshunds we could choose from, the exact one that we pick has a super rare condition and is destined to die early. It makes me sad but I know that he was meant to come to our family, regardless of his being sick. I knew he was the exact dog for our family ever since he was a tiny puppy (even from the moment I saw his pictures online from the breeder)! He was so adorable and perfect. Perfect for us. He isn't even two years old yet (birthday is March 16)! But I know he is in a lot of pain because I can tell that he isn't the happy fun-loving, full of energy puppy that he used to be. We have decided to put him down but I hate thinking of that sort of thing and being in control of when to do it. I feel torn because I keep thinking "he's so young! he still has life to live!" but really, he is not feeling well at all. I just told Sam to pick a day in the future and just tell me that morning or the night before that he is going to take him. Not sure how else to handle it.
Anyways, do any of you friends or family out there have experience where you've had to let a pet go? Please share any insights, advice, words of comfort, etc... I really would appreciate any comments..

10 comments:
That is so sad! I'm so sorry!
Oh my gosh! I know it is silly because I don't know Max too well but I'm all teary. I do know how much you guys love him and I'm so sad now. We had to put our Pomeranian down when I was in middle school. He was just so sick and it is harder to make them live when they are in so much pain. It was really hard on me but I just focused on the good times we had. You'll get through it! I def. think you got him at the exact time you needed him and he was a great companion for you guys for the little time you've had him. Love you guys!
Oh Kat I'm so sorry. That has to be so hard. My puppy from growing up isn't going to make it much longer and i'm sure I'll be a wreck when she dies. Sorry I don't have many words of advice :(. Just hang in there and know we're thinking about you!
We had our border collie, Annie, put down just over two years ago after finding out she had lymphoma. It was heartbreaking, watching her in so much pain. Looking back, I think we waited too long to do it. If you want some sort of advice, I believe that when an animal stops eating, (s)he is saying that it's time to go. We waited much longer than that, and I regret it now. I wish you strength and peace with your decision.
Kat I'm so so sorry. I think putting him down would be the best decision. It is very difficult to watch them suffer. My German Shepherd suffered a lot in the end and we finally decided to put him down even though we didn't want to let him go. The day we took him to the vet for them to euthanize him he ended up catching pnemonia and died on his own within a few hours. I cried so much that day and the days leading up to it. But I was able to get through it and will always remember him. Getting Wrigley a year later helped as well, not to replace him but just to have another dog around because I love dogs so much. Max will always be special to you and I think you'll know in your heart when the right time is to put him down, once you see him struggling to eat or walk. Thats when we knew with Champ.
Call me if you ever need to talk, I know how rough it is. :(
I'm sorry about that, Kat. I've never had to deal with that so I don't know what to say except I hope you can find peace. Good luck!
This is just too sad. Poor, poor Maximus. He is such an awesome dog. I really feel for you. What a hard thing to do.
I remember reading about when you got Maximus, this is so sad! I'm sorry for your loss! I am not even a dog person, but Maximus looks like such a happy sweet dog! I don't have any advice, just sending my condolences!
that is just too sad, but I would agree with what Jenna said. When Max can't eat or drink well anymore it is time. That is when my mom decided to put Maggie down and it isn't as hard once they stop eating and drinking because you can see how painful their little lives are.
This is sooo sad!! Grits' birthday is March 16! Oh I am so sad for yall! I'm so glad he isn't suffering anymore though. I think putting him down was the best decision as well. Oh I hope something like this doesn't happen to Grits.
Post a Comment